Walking in Memphis

Graceland



Once upon a time I sang. Then I got stage fright. I kept singing. Then I had a panic attack on stage. Then I stopped singing.

And also, once upon a time I played piano. Then I went through trauma, and it was a little associated with playing the piano, because I wrote songs about it and spent loads of time processing it (or trying to) singing and playing in the practice rooms at college. Then I stopped playing piano.

Long story short, over the past year I've been healing with the help of a therapist, friends, and my church, but most of all, God. One of the things He coaxed me back into was singing and playing piano. I do this every week now at church, and it has been such a blessing.

I started thinking I'd like to learn a song everyone knows and loves just for fun. This is one of my favorites, I'm sure it's one of yours too, because it's on everyone's top 10. Case in point: My pastors' 17-year-old daughter. (They are clearly raising her right.)

Marc Cohn, the talented writer and original performer of this song, is Jewish. That's why there's a bit of conflict here...he's immersing himself in another culture and is swept away by the magic of it. The blues, his heroes, the food, the people, the religion, it all changes him. I get chills every time I hear it. It's just beautiful.

My little practice session here is NOT so beautiful, is full of mistakes, and is certainly not meant to be showing off. I'm a little embarrassed by it. I just wanted to share what I'm up to with piano and to remind you of one of your top 10 favorite songs. :)


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form